Tuesday - We woke up and Rachel got a massage whilst I showered and read and fell asleep on the couch. When she returned, her mama took us out and we got an awesome cup of iced coffee in a cute little Indonesian garden. We then took a little trip through Salatiga and went on a tour of Rachel's old school. I can't imagine having to do "jungle runs" in all that humidity! Ouch! We then went home for lunch (soto ayam). After watching a movie (Miss Potter), Rachel, her mom and I went out for round 2 of our caffeine fix. Three delectable frappucinos later we headed back home to relax before dinner. Dinner was great - tahu guling. We had fruit drinks and jambu for dessert. I love fruit! I could really get used to this :) We then packed up for the road trip extraordinaire to commence the next day!
Wednesday - The alarm went off at the fabulous hour of 4 am (just in time to hear the Muslim call to prayer). After packing up the car and partaking of another lovely fruit drink we hit the road. Shari and I spent the majority of the next 10 driving hours in a drugged sleep thanks to the potent Dramamine we consumed pre-insane driving. To give you a little taste of what we experienced: imagine a two lane road filled with every type of vehicle imaginable (huge truck, tour buses, cars of all sizes, a plethora of motorcycles, bicycles, horse and occasionally oxen drawn carriages), now imagine everyone is playing a huge game of high speed chicken (where you move if the vehicle coming at you in your lane is larger than you) and you win if you don't die (my dad is a pro by now and weaves with the best of them). So the drugged stupor was a plus. We stopped for lunch at a roadside cafe. We finally reached our destination by late afternoon. Our hotel had an amazing view of Mount Bromo and the surrounding area was so beautiful! After a trying day of sleeping like little kittens Shari and I promptly fell asleep once we bundled up (it's a tad chilly in the mountains).
Saturday, June 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment