Friday, July 17, 2009

Doctoring in the Himalayas

Monday - First clinic day!! We had breakfast at 8 and then drove over half an hour to the clinic site. I was in pharmacy which was wonderful. I was a little nervous about the other stations because I feel I have forgotten things or have yet to learn them. I learned about different treatments and just general information from Ruth, the doc from the UK. It was in a partially finished building so it was cool while some of the tents got fairly toasty as the day wore on. Shari was in peds. While in pharmacy I managed to pick up a little Hindi so I could explain simple dosages: "Ech golle" - one tablet. The cooks came around 11 and gave us all little glasses of soda (which we came to find out was to be a daily ritual). Lunch was at 1. The clinic site was in a little village surrounded by breathtaking peaks. Shari learned a lot in peds. Ritu, the pediatric resident, did not make it intimidating and it was a great way for Shari to "get her feet wet." A group of us decided to walk back. Some of the village boys led us on a backwoods path to a footbridge over the river. Shari and I nearly ran down to the river to keep up with our guides. We then walked up to the main road and back to our campsite. After dinner we had a teaching time where a doc and some students presented a case or two that they found interesting and that would hopefully be educational.

No comments:

Post a Comment